2014 is nearly over, it was a very busy fall, and unfortunately, blog posts fell by the wayside. It is time for a two-part update, starting with October & November.
October was a busy month with Spinzilla, Oct. 6-12. This was the first time I participated and wouldn’t you know, it was the same week as the fall art tour! Still, I managed to get some spinning done.
While preparing for art tour visitors, I managed to spin 965 yards, two full bobbins plied together, and the remainder as a smaller singles skein, for a total of 0.548 mile. I ended most days with some late night quiet spinning or plying.
In the middle of Spinzilla week came the Northwoods Art Tour – Fall, Oct. 10-12, with approximately 125 visitors over 3 days. Most stayed quite awhile, visiting, asking questions, ordering, and being fascinated by this unique studio and home.
By the end of the art tour I had a lot of sock orders, and more came in via phone calls and emails, In the end around 50 pairs!
I began work on the socks and things went fairly well, but then the sock machine developed a problem and I had no idea what it was or how to fix it. I was throwing away more half-to-nearly completed socks than I was keeping to fill orders. Disaster!
The needles and spring were removed, cylinder slots cleaned out, and reassembled, and the problem persisted. Then we took it all apart, removed the crank and cylinder, cleaned it thoroughly, greased and oiled parts and reassembled again, and still the problem persisted. Then Char said if you have another 72 slot cylinder, let’s put that in and see what happens. So again, remove needles and spring, substitute a different cylinder and reassemble.
Let me tell you, changing to a cylinder that had not been used in perhaps 30 years or so, it was STIFF CRANKING!!! After a couple days, it was better, and SUCCESS!!! I was making socks again. I was also a month behind, so now cranked by day, closed toes and washed by night, and managed to get all but two pairs to my customers before Christmas. And she was fine with waiting for those two pair. I still have seven pairs to make this week.
December continues in the next post!