October & November

2014 is nearly over, it was a very busy fall, and unfortunately, blog posts fell by the wayside.  It is time for a two-part update, starting with October & November.

October was a busy month with Spinzilla, Oct. 6-12.  This was the first time I participated and wouldn’t you know, it was the same week as the fall art tour!  Still, I managed to get some spinning done.

Beginning my spinning for Spinzilla.
Beginning my spinning for Spinzilla.

While preparing for art tour visitors, I managed to spin 965 yards, two full bobbins plied together, and the remainder as a smaller singles skein, for a total of 0.548 mile.  I ended most days with some late night quiet spinning or plying.

Photo and yardage submitted Oct. 15th.
Photo and yardage submitted Oct. 15th.

In the middle of Spinzilla week came the Northwoods Art Tour – Fall, Oct. 10-12, with approximately 125 visitors over 3 days.  Most stayed quite awhile, visiting, asking questions, ordering, and being fascinated by this unique studio and home.

Looms and spinning wheel ready for demonstrations.
Looms and spinning wheel ready for demonstrations.
Sock machine also ready for demo as was woven shibori on loom at right.
Sock machine also ready for demo and woven shibori being set up on loom at right..

By the end of the art tour I had a lot of sock orders, and more came in via phone calls and emails,  In the end around 50 pairs!

Sock colors pulled for an order of 8 pairs.
Sock colors pulled for an order of 8 pairs.

I began work on the socks and things went fairly well, but then the sock machine developed a problem and I had no idea what it was or how to fix it.  I was throwing away more half-to-nearly completed socks than I was  keeping to fill orders.  Disaster!

Taking he CSM apart, needles and spring out for cleaning.
Taking he CSM apart, needles and spring out for cleaning.
Needles being cleaned and latches oiled at the little hinges.
Needles being cleaned and latches oiled at the little hinges.

The needles and spring were removed, cylinder slots cleaned out, and reassembled, and the problem persisted.  Then we took it all apart, removed the crank and cylinder, cleaned it thoroughly, greased and oiled parts and reassembled again, and still the problem persisted.  Then Char said if you have another 72 slot cylinder, let’s put that in and see what happens.  So again, remove needles and spring, substitute a different cylinder and reassemble.

Let me tell you, changing to a cylinder that had not been used in perhaps 30 years or so, it was STIFF CRANKING!!! After a couple days, it was better, and SUCCESS!!!  I was making socks again.  I was also a month behind, so now cranked by day, closed toes and washed by night, and managed to get all but two pairs to my customers before Christmas.  And she was fine with waiting for those two pair.  I still have seven pairs to make this week.

Red Embers, socks made on a 1908 Gearthart sock machine.
Red Embers, socks made on a 1908 Gearthart sock machine.
Detail of Red Embers socks.
Detail of Red Embers socks.

December continues in the next post!

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s