There is activity going on in the studio, and it is not weaving! The floors have been badly in need of refinishing, improved lighting has also long been needed, and a couple other changes are also being made. It is exciting to, at long last, see improvements being made!
Behind this bookcase was a “wall” made of several rough-sawn boards, put up by the previous owner to keep his children from climbing up onto the bookcase and falling down to the basement floor (basement stairs go down there).
In its place a “half wall” was built which happily has made the studio feel more open. Light switches were put in this wall as well as an electric outlet on each end. The bookcase will be relocated elsewhere in the room. An added advantage is more warmth from the woodrange will reach into the studio.
Three families over 22 years along with two large dogs took a toll on the floor boards and they were in sad shape. They are being taken up, the finish sanded off, then run through a planer and put back down, followed by application of two coats of stain and two coats of finish. We decided to go lighter to lighten up the rooms, and because over time, the boards will darken anyway.
It is not possible to move the large Glimakra looms out of the studio, so the floor is being done in sections, and looms and bookshelves being moved as needed.
My entire weaving library had to be moved out of the studio so this bookcase could be moved, in order to take up floor boards. Whew! What a heavy job that was! I carried them in stacks out to the kitchen, filling the kitchen table and part of the island. It’s a good thing the table is as thick and strong as it is, anything else might have collapsed!
Most of the weaving library is now back in place, and organized. Larger notebooks of materials are still packed in boxes, waiting for the other bookcase to be set in its new location.
Since this half of the studio was emptied, I took the opportunity to wash the walls. Dust accumulates from woodburner, pets, and open windows (pollen and dust). Looking better now! I recall author Helen Hoover writing about washing log walls, and she commented on how the area is increased when washing a “corrugated” surface!
The Glimakra Regina, Sara tapestry loom (not visible), boxes, bins, file cabinet, and more were pushed into one end of the room so floor boards could be taken up. In a couple days, all this, including the drawloom, must be moved to the area now clear, so the remainder of the floor can be done.
Looms are not accessible this week, and though I’m very happy this work is being accomplished, I’m also a bit frustrated. I’m taking the time to consider a new arrangement of the looms, and of additional lighting that will be installed in a few days.
The Fall Art Tour is coming up fast along with other events and I need to weave! Meanwhile, I can make warps – I made sure the warping mill and tube holder are accessible, and the sock machine is upstairs ready to use.
I also made sure the sock yarns are accessible, and that is what I’ll be working on until I am able to get back to the looms, hopefully by Monday.
Coming up,… October 4th, our guild has a demonstration date and also sale of our weaving and other fiber work, held during CranberryFest weekend in Eagle River, WI.
Oct. 6-12, National Spinning and Weaving Week, and having lost my mind awhile back, signed up to participate in Spinzilla that week. Lost my mind because it is also during,…
Oct. 10-12 – the fall Northwoods Art Tour! If you are in the area, I encourage you to pick up a brochure and go visit some of the area artists studios!
Nov. 15 – Northwoods Artisans Holiday Open Studio, here at Shuttle Works Studio, Heirloom Custom Wood Design, and Celtic Wolf Studio. Weaving, woodworking, and jewelry for sale and visit with the artisans!
I’m looking forward to the new studio layout, meanwhile, I must get back to making socks!